The U.S. Army Engineering and Support Center, Huntsville, is the designated Range and Training Land Program Mandatory Center of Expertise. The RTLP MCX provides centralized management and engineering support to all parts of the Training Support System enterprise. TSS includes the Sustainable Range, Soldier Training Support and Mission Command Training Support programs.
The RTLP MCX is the centralized repository for information and expertise in planning, programming, design and construction of automated ranges, Training Support Centers, Combat Training Complex standards and Mission Training Complex standards, and projects for the TSS Program.
The RTLP MCX assists the Department of the Army and installations in planning, site development, programming and design of ranges — both military construction, and Operations and Maintenance funded. The goal is to standardize ranges and training, while decreasing the overall cost of range design, construction, operation and maintenance as well as implementing new technologies to improve training capability in support of new weapons systems and tactics.
- Provide centralized management and responsibility for automated range, TSC, CTC and MTC MILCON projects.
- Provide centralized planning and programming document development and review (DD Form 1391, Project Definition Report and Engineer Form 3086).
- Develop and maintain standard design drawings and manuals for automated ranges, TSCs, CTCs and MTCs.
- Provide centralized design reviews.
- Prepare range designs with in-house design team.
- Maintain a cadre of in-house design expertise and an available suite of design contractors on a Multiple Award Task Order Contract.
The RTLP MCX has been involved in standardizing ranges since fiscal year 1984 with the design and construction of three multi-purpose range complexes and 10 infantry ranges at various installations. The RTLP MCX has since been involved in the design and construction of hundreds of ranges and training facilities.
The RTLP MCX is involved throughout the range development process. From the very beginning with the DD Form 1391 — the initial project identification document in the MILCON programming phase — continuing through design, construction, instrumentation and operation.
The RTLP MCX, with input from major Army commands and schools, develops generic design manuals for Multi-Purpose Range Complexes, qualification ranges, Urban Terrain facilities, Mission Training Complex, Combat Training Centers and Training Support Center facilities. The manuals include layout drawings, equipment interface data, cost estimating and other criteria requirements.
The RTLP MCX maintains the manuals as part of the Range Design Guide. The generic requirements are site-adapted by U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ geographic districts and installations to allow for variations in the local terrain. The RTLP MCX is responsible for reviewing designs, attending review meetings, and conducting construction inspections to ensure projects meet interface and standardization requirements. Find the Range Design Guide on the Huntsville Center website at https://www.hnc.usace.army.mil/Missions/Installation-Support-and-Programs-Management/Range-and-Training-Land-Program/Range-Design-Guide/.
- Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations and Plans
- Major Commands (range and training managers)
- U.S. Army Europe
- U.S. Army Reserve Command
- U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command
- Eighth U.S. Army (Korea)
- National Guard Bureau
- U.S. Military Academy
- U.S. Army Pacific
- U.S. Army Forces Command
- U.S. Army Special Operations Command
- Installations (range and training managers)
- Other Agencies
- U.S. Navy and U.S. Marine Corps
- U.S. Air Force and Air Force Reserve Command
Download the Range and Training Land Program fact sheet (PDF) HERE.