Unique to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Huntsville Center provides innovative engineering solutions to complex, global missions. Our team of more than 1,000 professionals in three locations — Huntsville, Alabama; Omaha, Nebraska; and Alexandria, Virginia — engineer adaptive, specialized solutions across a broad spectrum of global enterprise covering five main lines of effort: Energy, Operational Technology, Environmental, Medical, and Base Operations and Facilities. Our portfolios comprise more than 40 program areas, executing more than 3,000 projects annually, as well as eight mandatory and six technical centers of expertise, and 17 centers of standardization.
Through partnership with Department of Defense agencies, private industry and global stakeholders, we deliver leading-edge engineering solutions in support of national interests around the globe.
While our original mission was to support the U.S. Ballistic Missile Defense Program, we have since expanded our mission to encompass programs in installation support, ordnance and explosives, engineering, chemical demilitarization, operational technology as associated with Automated Building Systems, environmental and DLA-Energy Fuels Systems Maintenance and Repair.
Huntsville Center has programmatic and functional boundaries as opposed to the geographical boundaries of most other USACE units. Huntsville Center executes programs, projects and taskings which require:
- Centralized program management
- Unique/highly specialized/niche technical expertise
- National or broad in scope – crosses USACE district and division boundaries
- Systems functionality, commonality and adaptation
- Emerging technology which later must be promulgated across the enterprise
- Backup to MSC/District as required
Although the programs change as national and military priorities evolve, the Center’s mission and functions are centered on four key processes. Through these processes, Huntsville Center consistently delivers quality products on time — and that’s what keeps customers coming back. These processes include:
- Program and Project Management
- Engineering and Technical Services
- Construction Management
- Innovative Contracting Initiatives
Huntsville Center has:
Eight Mandatory Centers of Expertise
- Medical Facility Design (ER 1110-345-721)
- Range and Training Lands (ER 210-3-2)
- Electronic Security Systems (ER 1110-1-8162)
- Utility Monitoring & Control Systems (ER 1110-1-8163)
- Facilities Explosives Safety (ER 1110-1-8169)
- Ballistic Missile Defense (ER 1110-2-8163)
- Control System Cybersecurity
- Military Munitions Design Center (ER 1110-1-8153
Six Technical Centers of Expertise:
- DD Forms 1391/3086 Preparation/Validation
- Facility Systems Safety (FASS)
- Operations & Maintenance Engineering Enhancements (OMEE)
- Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC)
- Energy Savings and Performance Contracting (ESPC); Third-Party Financing (ESPC, PPA, UESC)
- Installation Support
17 Centers of Standardization:
- Army Community Service Center (ACSC)
- Battle Command Training Center (BCTC)
- Child Development Center – Infant/Toddlers (O-5 CDC)
- Child Development Center – School-Age (6-10 CDC)
- Consolidated Fire, Safety and Security Facility (FSS)
- Soldier Family Support Center (SFSC)
- Fire Station (FS)
- Outdoor Sports Facility (OSF)
- Physical Fitness Facility (PFF)
- Youth Activity Center (YAC)
- Training Support Center (TSC)
- Urban Assault Course (UAC)
- Automated Record Fire Range (ARF)
- Combat Pistol/Military Police Qualification Course (CP/MPQC)
- Modified Record Fire Range (MRF)
- Basic 10M-25M Firing Range (Zero)
- Live Fire Shoot House (LFSH)
Installation Support and Programs Management Directorate
Huntsville Center is the USACE Installation Support Center of Expertise (ISCX). Huntsville Center partners with USACE districts and other government organizations to provide timely, cost effective and consistent installation support. ISCX programs include Centers of Standardization; Range and Training Lands; Facilities Reduction; Utility Monitoring and Control Systems; Army Central Metering; Energy Savings Performance Contracting; Energy Engineering Analysis; Energy Information Management, Resource Efficiency Managers; Energy Resilience and Conservation Investment Program; Commercial Utilities Program; Access Control Points; Furnishings; Medical Outfitting and Transition; Medical Repair and Renewal; Medical Project Support Services; Facilities Repair and Renewal; Base Operations; Planning and Programming Support; Fuels Recurring Maintenance and Minor Repair Program; Operations and Maintenance Engineering Enhancement; 88th Readiness Division Program Management Office; Electronic Security Systems and Information Technology Services.
Ordnance and Explosives Directorate
The Ordnance and Explosives Directorate safely eliminates or reduces risks from ordnance, explosives and recovered chemical warfare materiel. Programs include the Chemical Warfare Materiel Design Center (CWMDC) that investigates and remediates non-stockpile chemical weapons remnants; the Conventional Munitions Design Center that provides support for Formerly Used Defense Sites, Base Realignment and Closure sites and active ranges. The Global Operations Division provides ordnance and environmental support, range clearance and landmine clearance services in support of contingency and global U.S. Regional Combatant Command operations. Huntsville Center is the USACE Life Cycle Project Manager for Chemical Demilitarization, as well as one of nine USACE Centers of Standardization established to be the Army’s life cycle manager for the following facility types: emergency facilities, child and family services, training ranges, and sports and fitness facilities. The Chemical Demilitarization Program is nearing completion and this team is being absorbed into the CWMDC. The Ballistic Missile Defense Center of Expertise is USACE’s link to the Missile Defense Agency (MDA). They provide technical and contract capacity support to USACE for all MDA support activities.
Huntsville Center provides several programs through the Engineering Directorate. Its Medical Facilities Mandatory Center of Expertise partners with USACE districts and divisions to provide expertise for the design and construction of medical facilities for DOD, other federal agencies and foreign governments. Huntsville Center also develops medical design and construction policies, technical guidance, procedures, criteria, specifications and standards. The Center manages projects from initiation through 35 percent design. The directorate’s Environmental Program provides project design and environmental services focusing on investigations and remediation at DOD Superfund level Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act and BRAC sites.
Environmental and Munitions Mandatory Center of Expertise
The Environmental and Munitions Mandatory Center of Expertise provides support to USACE headquarters and its offices worldwide on complex environmental and munitions cleanup and compliance issues through independent technical reviews, quality assurance reviews, munitions safety submission reviews, discipline-specific technical support, guidance development, participation on multi-agency panels and advisory committees, development and instruction of training, and the evaluation of and recommendations on innovative technologies.
Synchronized with Huntsville Center Project Delivery Team business lines, the Contracting Directorate’s team of about 200 contracting professionals annually execute more than 6,000 contract actions. In both fiscal years 2019 and 2020, Huntsville Center obligated more than $2 billion in contracts and task orders for DOD and other federal government agency programs and projects across the globe.